version: 5.0 - March 2003
author: Keith Young
My address is "wfs_avenger (at) yahoo.com"
(please make sure to include "FWTK" in the subject line)
Compiling the toolkit under specific operating systems
- 0.1 How do I get
support for the FWTK?
- 0.2 How can I join the FWTK mailing
- 0.3 How can I unsubscribe from the
FWTK mailing list?
- 0.4 I am having problems with the mailing
- 0.5 Where can I find an archive of
the mailing list?
- 0.6 What companies provide paid support
for the toolkit? Can I provide paid support?
Running the FWTK
- 1.1.1 "Undefined symbol `_crypt'
referenced from text segment" errors
- 1.1.2 How do you build the toolkit
- 1.1.3 "ld: Error: Undefined: IceProcessMessages..."
- 1.1.4 I get an error while trying
to compile daemon.c....
- 1.2.1 How do I compile the toolkit
under HP-UX 9.0x?
- 1.2.2 What is the config to compile
under HP-UX 10.20/11.x?
- 1.3.1 "fwtk/auth/db.c:66: undefined
reference to `dbm_open'" errors
- 1.3.2 "cannot open -libc" or
"cannot open -lc" error
- 1.3.3 "error.c: Parse error before
string constant" errors
- 1.3.4 "ulib.h:23: X11/Intrinsic.h:
No such file or directory" error
- 1.3.5 "hmain.c:1060: warning: passing
arg 3 of `select' from incompatible pointer type" warning
- 1.3.6 "Undefined symbol `_crypt'
referenced from text segment" errors
- 1.4.1 How do I compile the toolkit
- 1.5.1 "Symbol signal in /usr/ccs/lib/libc.a
is multiply defined" error
- SGI Irix
- 1.6.1 "Badly placed ()'s/*** Error
code 1 (bu21)" error
- 1.6.2 I can't compile the toolkit
using SGI's compiler...
- 1.7.1 What configuration should I use
- Solaris 2.x
- 1.8.1 "`LOCK_EX' undeclared (first
use this function)" errors
- 1.8.2 "Undefined symbol _socket _getpeername"
- 1.8.3 "undefined symbol: MAXHOSTNAMELEN"
- SunOS 4.x (Solaris 1.x)
- 1.9.1 SunOS kernel panics
- 1.9.2 "ld: Undefined symbol _res_query"
- 1.10.1 I can't get the toolkit to
compile under Ultrix 4.0
- 1.11 FIXMAKE - when to use, when not
- 1.12 I am getting "xxx-gw.c: differs
from default RCS version" errors when trying to apply a patch.
- General Questions
- 2.1.1 Where can I get example copies
of system files, such as rc*, netperm-table, and inetd.conf for FWTK?
- 2.1.2 Why are my timestamps messed
up in my logfile?
- 2.1.3 I can't seem to get the right
files to run chrooted under Solaris.
- 2.1.4 Why doesn't FTP work with my
- 2.1.5 Why are connections to the
proxies so slow?
- 2.1.6 How do I proxy UDP packets with
- 2.1.7 How do I publish web pages
through the firewall?
- 2.1.8 I am trying to get ftpd (from
the toolkit) working....
- 2.1.9 How do I get the toolkit to
run under MacBSD?
- 2.1.10 Is there a way to setup a
VPN using the FWTK?
- 2.1.11 Is the FWTK year 2000 compliant?
- 2.1.12 Host address lookups fail
with "failed to connect to server test (80) reason: hostname unknown"
- 2.1.13 I can't start the toolkit;
I am getting "Failed to bind to port XXX" or "Address already in use".
- 2.1.14 Does the proxy hide internal
addresses? What are the "illegal" addresses?
- 2.1.15 Should I be able to ping
the Internet from the internal network?
- 2.1.16 How to I specify a subnet
mask in the netperm-table?
- 2.1.17 Why do I get an "inetd: xxx-gw/tcp:
unknown service" error when I start a proxy?
- 2.1.18 What is the maximum number
of ethernet interfaces that the toolkit will support?
- 2.1.19 How do I enable PPTP using
- 2.1.20 What is the configuration
to allow ICQ?
- 2.1.21 How do I wrap lines in the
- 2.1.22 Which is the best way for
starting FWTK: inetd or daemon mode in an "rc" script?
- 2.2.1 I keep getting segmentation faults
when adding users
- 2.2.2 How do I use SecureID/Skey
with the toolkit?
- 2.2.3 Does authsrv ever disable users
- 2.2.4 Why do I get "Unrecognized
command parameter" errors when adding users?
- 2.2.5 I am getting lots of "undefined
references" when trying to compile.
- 2.3.1 Why can't I FTP to an Internet
site using a command-line FTP program?
- 2.3.2 How do I FTP through multiple
- 2.3.3 What does "500 Illegal PORT
- 2.3.4 Why do some sites refuse my
- 2.3.5 Why does FTP hang when getting
a directory listing or downloading a file?
- 2.4.1 My http-gw keeps hanging; Why
is http-gw freezing, but the server responds to pings?
- 2.4.2 How do I get SSL/HTTPS working
with the toolkit?
- 2.4.3 Authentication (-authall) doesn't
work with http-gw. How do I get WWW authentication working with the toolkit?
- 2.4.4 How do I run http-gw and a
web site on the same machine?
- 2.4.5 What does "Network error: net_flags[X]
>set (read)" mean?
- 2.4.6 Why do targets (on pages) with
spaces get destroyed?
- 2.4.7 How do I change the output
of http-gw when I connect to FTP sites?
- 2.4.8 Http-gw keeps core dumping
on a BSD variant.
- 2.4.9 How do I FTP files through
http-gw as a specific user?
- 2.4.10 Why do I get an error like
"The response 'http-gw@firewall' is not valid" when trying to FTP in a browser?
- 2.4.11 Why does http-gw return blank
pages to my Netscape browser?
- 2.4.12 Http-gw causes my browser
to display "document contains no data".
- 2.4.13 How do I forward http requests
from the firewall to an internal web server?
- 2.4.14 URLs like "http://user:email@example.com"
- 2.4.15 FTP through http-gw gives
a "-501 Unknown ftp problem" error message.
- 2.4.16 How do I disable FTP access
- 2.4.17What is the configuration to connect to web servers running
on non-standard ports?
- 2.4.18 Why am I getting "Error - 404. Reason:
hostname unknown" errors?
- 2.4.19 What
does "network connection closed during write" mean?
- 2.5.1 I am getting "Transport endpoint
is not connected" errors...
- 2.6.1 What is the configuration for
POP mail services?
- 2.6.2 How do I use plug-gw to plug
to a second proxy?
- 2.6.3 How do I plug samba/SMB (for
Win95/WinNT file sharing) through the firewall?
- 2.6.4 How do I allow SQL requests
- 2.6.5 What is the plug-gw config
for Usenet News?
- 2.6.6 How do I make Microsoft SNA
Server requests go through?
- 2.6.7 How do I plug to a Lotus Notes
- 2.6.8 How can AOL clients get through
- 2.6.9 Why is plug-gw denying everything
even though it is correct in the netperm-table?
- 2.6.10 How do I plug LDAP through
- 2.7.1 Smap doesn't work & logs
show "bogus queue file, uid=6, mode=100600"
- 2.7.2 How do I configure smap so
that it rejects the mail in a way that the sender does not retry to send
- 2.7.3 Why am I getting "fwtksyserr:
cannot chroot to /var/spool/smap: Operation not permitted" errors?
- 2.7.4 How does smap handle temp files;
what should I do with old xmaXXXX/smaXXXX files?
- 2.7.5 Smap has received the e-mail,
but how do I process the mail queue?
- 2.7.6 How do I append messages/disclaimers
to the bottom of e-mail messages?
- 2.7.7 Why do I get "SYSERR(smap):
prescan: token too long" errors?
- 2.7.8 Why is mail getting sent with
smap username instead of the actual sender? Why am I getting sendmail authentication
- 2.7.9 What does "smapd[xxxx]: discarding
(OS error) pid=xxxx code=71" mean?
- 2.7.10 Sometimes I am getting "exiting
too much data" errors from smap...
- 2.8.1 How do I separate the FWTK logs
from the standard syslog file?
- 2.8.2 How do I create separate log
files for each service?
- 2.8.3 Syslogd will not record anything
- 2.9.1 Why does tn-gw either display
double characters, no characters, or echo the passwords?
- 2.9.2 How do I configure tn-gw to
allow me to telnet to the firewall machine itself?
- 2.9.3 How can I make it transparent
for people to telnet through the firewall?
- Currently, there are no FAQs for x-gw
END OF FWTK FAQ INDEX